Alas, an Updated Blog Post!

*This post was started on December 7th. Where do the days go? Ugh. Without further ado…

A VERY Valid Excuse

I really had no intention of neglecting my blog, email, twitter, or facebook for the past month or so. But, then again, I also didn’t know exactly what I was getting myself into with a new baby. Ok, you know when people always joke around about the lack of sleep you will be getting? Yeah. Maybe I misinterpreted or underestimated it, but apparently that wasn’t a joke. I thought it was a cliche saying… much like the ridiculous, “Do you crave ice cream and pickles?” No! I don’t crave ice cream and pickles! Why would you assume such a thing?! Is that a right of passage to being pregnant? One must indulge in a dill pickle while enjoying their rocky road?

Don’t get me wrong, I knew that my sleep would be disrupted. I expected to get up several times during the night. What I didn’t expect was being up ALL night and ALL day. However, it is not being up for several hours consecutively. No, that would be too easy. It is the torturous just-fell-asleep-and-hear-a-cry cycle that I receive every hour throughout the night. I couldn’t have possibly prepared myself for this. 😉 Long story short, in addition to figuring out this baby business (I’d like to meet the person that says this stuff comes naturally)… I feel like a walking zombie in the process. Boo-Hoo. Cry me a river. Right?  😉  The lack of sleep has been the most challenging adjustment (among many others) for me. It is getting better with each passing day (Layla slept for 3 consecutive hours last night! I wanted to celebrate!)…so there is light at the end of the tunnel that I will sleep again one day.

A Labor Story

Because I’m sure y’all are just dying to hear all of the details. haha

So. Where did we leave off? Ah. Yes. Being induced.

The day of my induction (is that even a word?) was oddly calm. I wasn’t having any serious contractions, I felt fine, and spent the day taking care of final details around the house to prepare for Layla’s arrival.

{Right before we left for the hospital}

It was the weirdest feeling to get in the car with an empty car seat in the back, knowing the drive home will have a baby in it. Or that this was the last day that we would be a family of two. Yes, all of those thoughts were swirling around in my head for about two seconds… then my mind would settle back on OH MY GOSH, I have to push out a baby. I may die. I’ve changed my mind. Someone knock me out. Am I having a panic attack already? Call an ambulance. Can the ambulance driver start my epidural? I haven’t even felt pain yet, but why take that chance? Get me to a McDonalds immediately! I need a McDouble STAT. Something like that.

So, we get to the hospital and get settled in.

{Can you see the terror on my face? haha!}

At 6pm I still was not dilated so they started the first process of induction (Again, am I making that word up?) : Cervidil… which is supposed to soften your cervix and stimulate uterine contractions. (TMI? haha) The doctor said this process would take about 12 hours and then they would start me on Pitocin. As it turns out, I didn’t need the Pitocin… I started having contractions within a few hours… by 11pm my water broke, and a little after midnight I received my epidural. Once I received the epidural, I literally felt almost no pain and slept the remainder of the night with the exception of being woken up every hour by the nurse. By 9am I was fully dilated and started pushing at 10am. Peanut was born without any complications at 11:38am.

God bless the epidural.

And any and every pain medication after that. haha

I know that everyone’s experience is different, but I was all worked up and worried for nothing. I am one of those obnoxious people that felt relatively little pain. (By choice, of course) Even before the epidural, my contractions weren’t as painful as I imagined they would be. The hospital staff were all excellent and I had a very positive birthing experience. I spent a lifetime dreading the unknown of “labor and delivery” and now I can hardly remember the details of it.

7 lbs 1 oz

20 inches long

Snug as a bug in a rug :)

It felt like we were in the hospital forever! The induction began Tuesday afternoon, delivered Layla on Wednesday and wasn’t released until Friday. That is a lot of hospital time! After delivery, I had hemorrhaged and lost quite a bit of blood… so I had to be monitored a bit longer. Everybody always talks about the horrors of labor but no one warned me about the horrendous recovery part. OH. EM. GEE. I wasn’t expecting it to be that bad! Give me another epidural!  I was so thankful that the Navy hospital where we delivered allowed husbands to spend the night. (Jon even got his own bed…not just a chair!) I don’t know how I would have managed alone… I could hardly get out of bed! Unfortunately, our hospital doesn’t do the whole nursery thing… the baby stays with you the whole time. I was thankful that Jon got up to change diapers and to bring me her when she was ready to feed. What a blessing that was!

My mom and sister drove up on Thursday to visit and brought us some goodies.

After 3 months of a diabetic diet, soda never tasted so good. And lets not even mention the heaven in that pink box. Donuts? Yes please. I’ll take a dozen.

Jessica with Peanut… and Owen checking out his new cousin.

Grandma holding Layla for the first time.


And… after a few days in the hospital… it is time to come home!

My mom and Jessica did a fabulous job making our homecoming special. :)

Cousins. 5 months apart. Destined to be good friends.

Layla getting acquainted with her auntie.

Look at that hair!

It was nice to have my mom and sister around for a few days. They helped out a lot while I was still recovering…not to mention the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and chocolate peanut butter balls we were spoiled with. :)

So, there it is. My birth experience…the whole week of it.

Two days over due.
4 days in the hospital.
One sweet little girl born.
And somewhere in between all of that… was a labor and delivery that I can hardly remember.

I guess you can say it was all worth it in the end. 😉

Be Sociable, Share!